Saturday, January 16, 2010

Almost the coolest thing ever!

*
We all know the microscope is the coolest thing ever. But this is sweet. Okay so I sort of asked for this for Christmas. Since the diabetes thing I have been thinking a lot about health in general. I found this nifty little (and I mean little) medical gadget and I HAD to have it.

You can buy it in silver or gold, my photography doesn't show it well, but mine is silver. It's maybe about an inch long and I wanted to wear mine around my neck but it also comes with a little connector thingy for my key chain if that's what I choose.

So what does this little piece of jewelry do? Why, it stores all my medical history!

Because . . . it is a USB drive!

You wear it, or carry it, and if something happens to you, emergency workers look for this kind of thing these days - they not only have your name and age but your 'conditions', illnesses, and your medications and dosages. If you have them available you can even upload your latest blood work to it as well as your insurance information including scans of the front and back of your card.

All of the pertinent information during an emergency displays on a single page, including your emergency contacts. No one but you can change the information because that is password protected. But an emergency worker can plug it into a computer and read all about you. No, my social security number is not in there. But my weight is - which is just as much of a secret to me!

I don't know about you, but I'll share my illnesses and meds with an emergency room physician any day of the week if that happens to be the week I pass out in the grocery store for no apparent reason. You hope things like that never happen but - I like the idea that something like this can be covered so easily and unobtrusively.

The chain that came with it is not to my fancy, it's a bit heavy duty. So I will find another chain I like better and I'll be set. According to the FAQs on the website, this little USB fob can be worn in the shower even though the back of it does not have a cover. My thought is - I will get a chain I can pull over my head and I'll just slip that puppy off before my shower. Not that I don't believe them, but this thing is cool. I want to keep it.

Somebody have an elderly parent? A kid with special needs? Somebody you love who needs meds? Yeah. It's a cool thing. And no, nobody asked me to say that. I just think it's awesome.
*

9 comments:

  1. Me too I want one too!!
    Very Very good idea !
    And cool too!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely cool! Makes a lot more sense than those medic alert bracelets which don't tell the full story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great find! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool - thanks for sharing it! That was a good investment BetteJo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is totally cool. I am shopping around for mine now. Thanks for putting the info out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing that. It is a great idea and just full of information. (pun intended)

    ReplyDelete