Saturday, August 15, 2015

Mmmm, mmmm good!


My mom was not known for her cooking.  Not that she was a bad cook, it was just something she really didn't enjoy doing and when she actually did it, it was with little imagination.

When my parents divorced I was 11 years old.  It was pretty much just me and my mom from then on
- and since she worked until 7:30 in the evening I had to fend for myself.  I lived on things like Beef-a-roni, Swanson's chicken and noodles TV dinners, mac 'n cheese, pot pies, and the occasional steak I would throw in the broiler.  Oh, and Velveeta cheese sandwiches.  Loved those!  Every once in a while my mom would call home and have me put a pot roast on or have me make spaghetti sauce and we would eat late when she got home.

Needless to say my cooking skills never fully developed either, and as much as I try now - I cannot manage to imagine anything new to eat - even when I scour the Internet for recipes it usually ends up being the same type of foods.  Pretty mid-western, stick to your ribs kind of fare. Ordinary.

After my mom passed and we were talking about her, my brother told me he had her recipe box "if you can call it that" he said.  He was laughing when he said "most of her recipes start with some kind of Campbell's soup!"

Sounds fabulous to me!

WHAT??




No comments:

Post a Comment