Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I’m in love with an object. Don’t judge me.

.
Yes, I bought this phone on eBay.  Isn't it great?  It didn't take much cleaning up and disinfecting and I am crazy for it!  






I plugged it in and it works - at least as far as a call coming in goes.  That ring!  Geez!  Amazing with all the ring tones we are exposed to now, how we forget the loud jangle of the old desktop phones.  Dialing out, well, my service must not accommodate a dial phone because the dial tone never goes away and then it asks me if I need help.  Well maybe, but not with the phone.  


But I don't care if I can dial out!  And actually, it's not plugged into a phone line where it is right now.  Makes no difference to me, I didn't buy it to use it, silly!  I really just wanted to dial it.  I did.  It has a very satisfying feel and a very satisfying sound when you dial it.  I'm sure I could get something close in an app somewhere but there is just something about putting your finger in there and moving that dial around.  My son was kind of amazed.  "It would take you a whole minute to dial 9-1-1!"  


"Um yeah, probably."  I said.  "But - we didn't have 9-1-1 back then."  


What did we do, anyway?  I can't remember.  Didn't we just dial zero and ask the operator for the police?  That wouldn't have taken very long.

.

5 comments:

  1. That looks just like the phone that my mom had. I know what you mean about the feel of dialing, there is just something about it. And yes 0 was the magic number for help. I can't say I miss the party lines though. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, those were the days we had to sit in one place and talk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I remember when there was only one of those in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the bowling alleys where I used to live had a rotary dial pay phone, long after they went out of style. I loved that phone. Used it whenever possible.

    My husband and I were just talking about our lives pre-cell phones. We loved it without cell phones and caller ID. I simply hate caller ID. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

    ReplyDelete