Sunday, March 16, 2008

One foot in front of the other. Literally.


Weight Watcher’s works. For the most part. I am seeing some success which is spurring me on. However, I feel like I should be having more success than I am.


I have come to the conclusion that either I am dead – or have no metabolism what-so-ever. I suppose that’s what happens when you sit in one spot all.of.the.time. I guess I have known this all along but I’ve always told myself – I need to lose a bit of weight and then I will be more comfortable exercising.


Who am I fooling??? I need to get off the couch NOW.


So, in the interest of staying honest I need to post about my next step.


Generally I am on the side of the television dial where you find the forensic programs or the home shows with a bit of Scott Baio and Jon and Kate thrown in. But I do have one show I watch on network TV. General Hospital. I tape each episode every day when I am at work and then watch them all on the weekend.


I am going to change that.


It seems that I need things to be very defined. There must be rules for things and I must make promises and say them out loud before I will get something done. How sad.


What I need to do and what I am going to start doing – is to make my soap time, my movement time. Instead of watching all 5 hours of my show on the weekend, I am going to start watching each day’s episode in the evening. And during the time that episode is on – I must be moving. Whether I’m on the treadmill, doing some kind of floor exercise or messing with weights, I must be moving. It is my new rule. Because if I am doing anything wrong, this is it. I am absolutely sedentary.


There are no small children to run after at my house, and I work at a desk. I come home from work and most evenings I can be found in front of the TV with my laptop. I’ve actually been having fun taking control of my diet and now – I plan to enjoy taking control of my activity level.


People say you can’t stop smoking until you are ready. Same goes for weight loss. For so long I have felt out of control and spiraling downward when it comes to my weight. I did quit smoking (a few times) and finally have not gone back to it. Now it’s time for the weight and for the first time in a very long time – I feel like I am ready.


It really is time. Go me!!



And when it's all done - there will be photos!!!



16 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea! I wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the Amazon dig out and dust off a "learn to bellydance" DVD she bought when she was away at college. At some point, I'll have to actually put the DVD in the player and get off the couch and like.. wiggle or something. I'm still mentally preparing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true....and your in the zone now.
    It only gets easier...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sedentary is my middle name.

    Candid Sedentary Yammering.

    I came to the same realization last weekend when I had a few knee problems. Movement is the way to go.

    Sick 'em, BetteJo. I'm right here with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Way to go Idaho!" Nuts are my downfall, that and the fact I sit all day and play with beads! I have an exercise bike which has made a lovely ornament in the corner of the room.......Going to try for an hour a day, start next week.....

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really a great idea - and combining something you really LIKE (the soap) with something you will learn to like (exercise) okay, maybe on good days you'll like it - but it will absolutely help your metabolism! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo! Thank you all for the support, it makes a difference, it really does. And like I said - posting about it keeps me honest. I said it out loud so now I have to do it. :)

    This idea has been floating around my head for a while but I just had to commit to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep... nail. head. Saying it outloud does something, doesn't it?

    I used to record my soap everyday, as well. That was back when I was dedicated to the treadmill. I'd walk while watching my soap. Fast-forwarding thru commercials gave me a decent 30-35 minute walk every evening. And, I did it while everyone else was having dinner (I wasn't hungry, so why eat?). It worked great, but like always, I quit.

    I promised myself that I'm going to start walking around the neighborhood as soon as Spring Break is over (I gave up on my soap... finally at a point in my life where I just don't have time for it!). I've promised the kids they can ride their bikes with me. They'll keep me honest ;)

    Good luck!

    I'm rootin' for ya!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you got one of those little step counter things ? They clip to your belt an dits really a boost to see how far you get each day , and to increase by a few each day ... I find it a great help , not that I lose any weight but still ....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep. Moving does it. Three days of moving on that treadmill and 2 days of moving those weights/doing floor exercises will make a world of difference.

    Ya gotta do both, though. Voice of experience here. I'm one of those gals for whom WW didn't work. Walking 10,000 steps/day didn't work. I thought it was my metabolism too.

    Hard cardio (must sweat, should puff) and sore muscle weight training DID work. To the tune of losing 25% of my body.

    But if you read BlogHer at all, you know that. If you need any encouragement or help, feel free to email me. Cause I've been there.

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Luck! I also need to get off my backside a bit more lately... I blame the bad weather, I just come home from work and sit all evening..

    ReplyDelete
  12. My excuse has been - I broke my ankle and was on a recliner for 6 weeks then I started a new med then I quit smoking - then I went through a big break-up - and then .. and then .. give me a second I'll think of more!

    I do have a pedometer but always forget to clip it on! It really does help when I wear it, I need to do it more often.

    Oh Deb - I'm starting slowly. If I need to ramp it up that far - sigh-h-h - I will have to try it. But I also know I will get discouraged if I try to do too much too fast. It's all a mind game with me - and I have to know how to play me. :)

    Lady B - Yes - the weather - that's another one I can add to my list ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently got readdicted to GH after not watching for almost 20 years. I used to have rush home from school to watch. What is amazing is that you can watch that show and, in the space of 20 minutes, be all caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like you are making good progress. For me, I do exercise 45 minutes a day , 5 to 6 days a week. All I have to do is eat one cookie and I gain weight even with all the exercise that I am doing. Controlling the diet is the toughest thing for me and I am pretty disciplined with what goes in my mouth but my metabolism is just plain slow. Well keep up the good work and I think your plan for working out while watching the soaps is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laura you are SO right. My daughter doesn't usually watch GH while at school but when she comes home - she's caught up until the next time she comes home!

    SweetP - I wish I had your discipline! That is a huge trait I lack when it comes to some things. Like moving my body. Yeah, that's a big thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats! That sounds like a really productive plan! Go you! I promise you'll be hooked on exercise before you know it...I never thought it was possible, but if I can get hooked, anyone can!

    ReplyDelete